My Home Page
Welcome to Mrs. Cullinan's Reading Specialist Website
I am the Wheatland-Chili Middle School Reading Interventionist. I am a NYS Certified Reading Specialist.At Wheatland Chili we strive to help students become proficient and enthusiastic readers. At the middle school, we offer a language arts support program that supplements classroom instruction and/or 1 on 1 student support.
A student is identified as needing support based on:
• Classroom achievement
• Performance on standardized reading/writing tests, including New York State assessments
• Placement on the iREADY placement
• Recommendation by the Pupil Services Team
Delivery of Services
Support may be delivered using a variety of models:
- Push-in--individual or small group in the classroom
- Pull-out--individual or small group in an alternate setting
- Consultant teacher-reading specialist serves as an advisor to the classroom teacher.
The amount of support varies by student needs and grade level. Service typically ranges from two to five times per week.
Support and reinforcement include teaching students the following:
• Scientific and skill-based reading programs designed to help students learn through multi-sensory instruction that is skill based and systematic, sequential, cumulative, and aligns with the standards. Word-solving--strategies for recognizing and writing words;
• High frequency words--words that appear frequently in oral and written language, to be learned in order to move fluently and effortlessly through the reading and writing process;
• Comprehension--strategies that enable the reader to make sense of a variety of text;