Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
The Wheatland-Chili School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher, and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law § 2-d, the District wishes to inform the school community of the following:
1) A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
2) Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record.
3) State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
4) A complete list of all student data elements collected by New York State is available for public review at the following website http://www.nysed.gov/common/nysed/files/programs/student-data-privacy/collected-data-elements-1-17-2020.pdf or by writing to the Office of Information and Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 865 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234
5) Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing to Privacy Complaint, Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234. Complaints may also be submitted using the form available at the following website http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/report-improper-disclosurehttp://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/report-improper-disclosure. Complaints may also be submitted to the District’s Data Protection Officer by writing to: Data Protection Officer, West Irondequoit Central School District, 45 Cooper Road, Rochester, NY 14617.